The Ontario Hockey Federation has been working with Hockey Canada on the implementation of Rowan’s Law since the adoption of the Rowan’s Law Concussion Safety on March 7, 2018. The Ontario Hockey Federation is in full support of the intent of Rowan’s Law to create awareness of concussion, change the culture on concussion and provide safe sport participation.
The Ontario Hockey Federation was informed by the Ministry of Tourism Culture and Sport on June 18, 2019 that the Rowan’s Law Act and Regulations must be implemented by July 1, 2019. Therefore, after July 1, 2019 every Player, Team Official and On-Ice Official (parent as well if individual under 18) in order to register/participate must review the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the appropriate Concussion Awareness Resources.
• All Registrants registering July 1, 2019 or after must have completed the review information and acknowledgement prior to registration/participation.
• All Team Officials currently registered will be required to complete the review of information and acknowledgement prior to August 30, 3019.
• All Registrants registered prior to July 1, 2019 must complete the review of information and acknowledgement prior to participation in the first game.
The Ontario Hockey Federation has met with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport and continues to exhaust all avenues to delay the implementation. The Ontario Hockey Federation will keep you informed of any progress.
The Ontario Hockey Federation have provided the following method for the Minor Hockey Association/Club/ Team to validate that the Players and Team Officials that Register with the Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team to have acknowledgement of the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the Ontario Governments Concussion Awareness Resources.
• Players and Team Officials will be required to review the material in person or on-line and sign the OHF Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form prior to being eligible to Register/participate.
• It will be the responsibility of the Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team to retain a copy of the Acknowledgement Form, through one of the following methods:
• Retain a hard copy of the OHF Rowan's Law Acknowledgement Form for a period of 7 years for each Registered Participant;
• Scan and upload a copy of the OHF Rowan's Law Acknowledgement Form (PDF format naming the form "Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form – participant name" to each participant’s profile in the HCR under the Documents & Memo section.